Upcycled Winter Wreaths • Fri. Dec. 2 • 2– 6 p.m. • Surplus Store & Recycling Center (Education Center)
Cozy up with a hot beverage and make a festive wreath inspired by winter’s colors and textures. Repurpose a variety of materials sourced from the Surplus Store & Recycling Center including discarded books, paper, metal, fabric, and objects found in nature. Embellish with ribbon, yarn, glitter, paint, etc.
Funky Junk Journals • Fri. Nov. 11• 2– 6 p.m.• Surplus Store & Recycling Center (Education Center)
- Make your own funky junk journal by upcycling discarded books, scrap paper, fabric, ephemera, etc. Collage as you wish. Make it a planner, art journal, notebook, diary or gift. Bind it with rings or learn to bind by hand. Registration is encouraged.
Clothing Repair-a-Thon • Tues. Nov. 15• 2– 5 p.m.• Hollander MakeCentral (Main Library: 2 West)
- Patch those holes in your favorite clothes! Repair your ripped jeans and replace those shirt buttons! Join our volunteer menders to gain hands-on help in the Makerspace with your item. We will have sewing machines, thread, and some fabric. Please bring the clothing you want to repair and any patches, specific colors of thread, or buttons for your project. Mending is a fun way to save money and the environment. Hosted in partnership with MSU Libraries’ Makerspace.This event takes place at the MSU main library, on the second floor of the west wing.
Go Green Mini Fest • Sat. Oct. 1 • Noon to 4 p.m. • Surplus & Recycling - material recovery facility
Kick off campus sustainability month with an afternoon at the MSU Recycling Center. Clothing and book swap. Make upcycled art. Meet student groups. Music by Impact 89FM. Free, all welcome!
- A healthy you is key for a sustainable future, and that includes your mental health and well-being! Join us for an uplifting upcycling activity that aims to bring our attention to living a sustainable, well-balanced life.
Homecoming Parade "Spartans Bring the Magic" • Fri. Oct. 14 • 6 p.m. • East Lansing and campus.
Featuring Scrap Metal Sparty and scrap art. Reclamation Studio (RCAH 315) student-artists will showcase upcycled suits and an enchanting two-wheeled cart. Our contribution to the Homecoming Parade aims to alter the conventional perception of castaway objects -- to encourage us to see discarded items not as valueless, but as potential resources. Parade begins on Abbot Road just north of Grand River.
DIY Zine Pop-Up • Tues. Oct. 18 • Noon – 2 p.m. • Hollander MakeCentral (Main Library: 2 West)
- Pop by the Makerspace to learn how to create a zine! Did you know we have lots of zine resources? Check out the information and materials from Spartan Upcycle, the creative reuse branch of Surplus & Recycling Center. Choose a topic for your zine and design your pages to help spread sustainability info in a fun way! Need more inspiration? Take a look at the Libraries’ zine collection on the first floor! All are welcome, this is a free drop-in event! Hosted in partnership with MSU Libraries’ Makerspace. *This event takes place at the MSU main library, on the second floor of the west wing
Thrift Clothing Swap • Fri. Sept. 9, 2022 • Drop-in between 1 - 5 p.m.
- Swap and reuse clothing at this free event. @ MSU Surplus Store & Recycling Center (Education Center)
ScrapFest ReFashion Show -- Fri. July 8, 2022, 7 p.m. @ Old Town, Lansing (Turner St.)
- A celebration of the community's creativity! This fashion show will feature handmade garments and accessories made from scrap fabric and upcycled materials. It is part of the two-day ScrapFest event,
Making Recycled Paper (Spartan Upcycle Workshop) Friday, June 24, 2022, 6 - 9 p.m. @ SSRC $25 per person. Open to the public. Ages 6 to 106!
- Join Spartan Upcycle and artist Meg Heeres for a fun, hands-on papermaking workshop in an industrial setting -- MSU's material recovery facility. Participants will transform scrap material into beautiful handmade paper for making cards, journals, and many other projects. Participants will make their own paper pulp, screen it, and form sheets using secondhand and upcycled equipment. Complete the cycle of recycling and satisfy your craving for creativity! MORE INFO
"Scrap Hat" Craft-In (Spartan Upcycle Friday) Friday, June 17, 2022, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. @ SSRC FREE. Open to the public.
- Create your own "scrap hat" or contribute to a shared upcycled accessory. Then, consider wearing your trash-to-fashion hat down the runway at the ScrapFest ReFashion Show! Drop-in and dig through bins of discarded materials and secondhand items, select your favorites and attach them to a hat base of your choice. For this drop-in craft-in, Spartan Upcycle staff will be joined by puppet artists and MSU faculty Steve Baibak and Pia Banzhaf, who will help us bring our visions to reality! MORE INFO HERE.
Michigan Recycling Coalition Conference Tour & Exhibitor Booth -- Wed. through Fri., May 11-13, 2022 @ SSRC and Kellogg Center
- Spartan Upcycle Store booth offering creatively repurposed items, plus various materials for at-home upcycling. Booth open during the MRC Conference.
Upcycled Planters: Make & Take -- Fri. April 22, 2022, 3 - 6 p.m. @ MSU Library
- Upcycle a container and grow your own plant! Hosted by MSU Libraries Makerspace with supplies from Spartan Upcycle and the Grow Green Vermicompost program. Click for more.
ASMSU Resource Fair -- Quirky Collages -- Weds., April 20, 2022 @ MSU Union
- Spartan Upcycle will offer supplies and space for collaging with discarded books and scrap paper. Staff will share resources and answer questions about the MSU Surplus Store & Recycling Center.
Clothing Repair-A-Thon Tues. April 12, 2022, 3 – 6 p.m. @ MSU Library
- Visit the MSU Libraries Makerspace and get hands-on help repairing your clothes. Volunteer menders and Spartan Upcycle will be there to help you practice and learn.
Spartan Upcycle Craft-In Nature Speaks Fri. April 8, 2022, 1-3:15 p.m. @ MSU SSRC
- Contribute to a group upcycled art project while reflecting on how nature speaks to you. Hosted by MSU Sustainability and Spartan Upcycle.