At the MSU Surplus Store and Recycling Center, we manage MSU's waste as a resource through an integrated system of reuse, recycling, collaboration, and education. Each year we process between 20 to 25 million pounds of material that is discarded on MSU’s campus including at residence halls, offices and academic buildings, event spaces, MSU farms and select MSU Extension locations. We are responsible for collecting the discarded material from MSU’s campus, including recyclables, food waste, and surplus goods donated by departments and the community.
On site, we operate:
- The MSU Surplus Store where you can find items unique to MSU, plus everyday items like computers, electronics, furniture, clothing and home goods.
- The SSRC material recovery facility where we handle the recyclable collected on campus and at the public MSU Recycling Drop-Off Center.
- The SSRC vermicompost operation where we compost campus food waste using worms and produce a nutrient-rich soil amendment for sale in the Surplus Store.
- Spartan Upcycle, the creative reuse branch of SSRC.
Across campus there are numerous locations to recycle! MSU also operates a Recycling Drop-off Center that is open to the public. For a list of accepted materials, please see the guides below. For recycling tips and updates, follow MSU Recycling on Facebook and Instagram or contact us at email@example.com.
- Campus Recycling Guide (Mobile friendly version)
- Applies to most University academic and office buildings, residential halls, and event spaces.
- Click here for a printer friendly guide
- Public Drop-Off Center Recycling Guide
- Available to the public
- Located on campus, off of Farm Lane, between Service Road and Mt. Hope Road
- Plastics Explained
- Learn more about what plastics are accepted for recycling and why.
Additional Waste Diversion Resources
- Order what you need to recycle successfully!
- Utilize the MSU Community Reuse program
- Donate select good condition items.
- Recycle polystyrene (Styrofoam) and select electronics.
- Bring accepted items to the Surplus Store Merchandise Pick-Up door M-F 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Shop secondhand at the MSU Surplus Store
- Shop the online collections
- Receive online orders via shipment or curbside pick-up
- Shop in-person on select days
- Details on hours and location
- Swing by the Free Area, just to the left of the store entrance. It's our last attempt at reuse before recycling or landfilling, and you never know what gems may be waiting for you!
- MSU Department Services
- Send items to the Surplus Store
- The MSU Surplus Store is responsible for the disposition of all Michigan State University owned property. This includes all items paid for with University funds or donated/gifted to the University.
- Learn more about how we handle IT, AV and other electronic equipment.
- Office Cleanout Support
- SSRC will help campus staff have a convenient and easy process that incentivizes highest and best use of unneeded office materials including recyclables and surplus goods. For more info contact firstname.lastname@example.org. *Please note, this program is currently suspended and will likely resume in Spring Semester 2021.
Ways to Get Involved
Join us in rethinking the way the each of us, and MSU community as a whole, disposes of unused materials!
- Attend a virtual Surplus Store & Recycling Center Town Hall
- Subscribe to the Waste Warrior Newsletter
- Staff & faculty, join the Waste Warriors
- For more ways to get involved and manage waste as a resource, see our suggestions on how to choose your impact.