Through reuse, recycling and composting, MSU currently diverts about 50% of general building refuse away from the landfill. In the next five years, we aim to increase the campus diversion rate to 70%. That would mean that over 2/3 of the waste we produce on campus will NOT be destined for the landfill. To reach this goal, we’re recruiting Waste Warriors – MSU faculty and staff who pledge to take a more active role in managing campus waste as a resource. Any staff or faculty member can sign up to be a Waste Warrior.
As a Waste Warrior
- You’ll gain a better understanding of how to utilize all the services we currently offer
- Receive help setting up and improving your recycling stations
- Opt for a Waste Reduction Consultation, in which we’ll tour your office and provide suggestions on how you could minimize waste
- You will be the first to hear about new services as we continue to expand.
- Styrofoam and glass collection will be expanding to select buildings that currently don’t have it
- In the future, we hope to offer food waste/compost collection to offices
- You will stay up in the loop via our periodic newsletter (past issues)
- You will receive invitation to free events such as
- facility tours
- building waste sorts
- upcycled art workshops
- zero waste lifestyle workshops
- movie screenings
- Other special events
- You can invite SSRC in to lead brown bag discussions including,
- Managing Waste as a Resource: Tips, Tools, and Services for Spartans
- From Bin to Bale: MSU’s Recycling Process
- Other topics by request
- You will become an ally to the Surplus Store & Recycling Center, helping us improve recycling and waste reduction at the building level.
- You will be provided opportunities to help shape the strategic direction of the Surplus Store & Recycling Center’s future.
By becoming a Waste Warrior, you join a group of like-minded staff and faculty from across campus—who each pledge to be part of the solution that will lead MSU down the path towards zero waste.
While we currently divert over 50% of our total waste, MSU generates over 10 million pounds of office, lab and residence hall waste annually. Waste sort data shows that 70% of that material could still be diverted from the waste stream.
Help us get to 70% by 2024. Let's do this!
Sign Up! Please Fill Out This Brief Intake Questionnaire So We Can Better Understand Your Interest And Needs.
Katie Deska - MSU Recycling Education Coordinator - firstname.lastname@example.org