Spartan Upcycle is the creative reuse branch of the Michigan State University Surplus Store & Recycling Center (SSRC). Through Spartan Upcycle, we seek to reduce waste by inspiring and promoting creativity, resource conservation and community engagement through art, education and imagination.
Spartan Upcycle offers educational workshops, hosts events, and sells materials, supplies and upcycled or reclaimed products through the MSU Surplus Store. Materials and items used in workshops and for sale are collected through SSRC’s campus recycling and Surplus operations, department partnerships, the public Recycling Drop-Off Center, and the MSU Community Reuse program.
Spartan Upcycle supports SSRC’s mission to manage waste as a resource through an integrated system of reuse, recycling, collaboration and education.
Connect with us on Facebook at Spartan Upcycle or contact email@example.com.
- View the online offerings from Spartan Upcycle. (Follow the Surplus Store Facebook page for updates about in-person shopping.)
- Items for sale include materials and supplies for use in various projects and upcycled/reclaimed goods that have been repaired, repurposed or otherwise had value added to them.
- The materials and supplies we sell may be used in various arts and crafts as well as home decorating or minor home improvement projects.
- While our inventory varies depending on what SSRC collects through our operations, Spartan Upcycle regularly stocks materials and supplies related to:
- collage, decoupage, assemblage
- scrapbooking, cardmaking
- sewing, knitting, fiber arts
- clothes mending and upcycling
- furniture repair and upcycling
- woodworking, metalsmithing
- zero waste living (jars, canisters, etc. for bulk shopping; fabric for making reusable alternatives to single-use products; repurposed and second-hand items, etc.)
- Studio (in)Process: Upcycle Edition
- Tune in for live upcycle project demonstrations led by Britta Urness, Studio Educator at the MSU Broad Art Lab, and join the event chat to pick up related facts, resources and waste reduction tips shared by Spartan Upcycle.
- Held monthly on the second Thursday of the month at 8 p.m.
- Streamed live on Facebook (via Broad Art Museum; shared to Spartan Upcycle)
- While watching the demo, open the comments to participate in the discussion.
- Junk Journals! Thurs., Aug. 12 @ 8-9 p.m., demonstrated live via the Broad Art Museum Facebook page.
- Video recordings are available on the Broad Art Museum Facebook page.
Programming & Partnerships
- Spartan Upcycle x Art Lab Residency
- Eight-week upcycling artist-in-residency led by the MSU Broad Art Lab in partnership with Spartan Upcycle.
- Culminates in an exhibition featuring work made at the Broad Art Lab primarily from materials collected by SSRC and provided by Spartan Upcycle.
- Fall 2021 features Detroit-based artist Megan Heeres.
- Spartan Upcycle x Art Lab Residency: Megan Heeres is organized by the Eli and Edythe Broad Art Museum at Michigan State University and curated by Britta Urness, Art Lab Studio Educator. Support for this exhibition is provided by the Michigan State University Surplus Store & Recycling Center and The Graduate Hotel East Lansing.