Students, apply to join the team at the MSU Surplus Store & Recycling Center.
Now hiring for a Creative Reuse and Recycling Communications Student Assistant
The mission of the MSU Surplus Store & Recycling Center (SSRC) is to manage MSU's waste as a resource through an integrated system of reuse, recycling, collaboration, and education. To help us achieve these ambitions, the SSRC is looking for a creative student who is passionate about reducing waste and engaging the campus community.
This position will work closely with the Education & Upcycle Coordinator to educate students, faculty, and staff on how to effectively utilize the services offered by the SSRC. The SSRC operates the MSU Surplus Store, the SSRC material recovery facility - where recyclable materials are processed, the SSRC vermicompost operation, and Spartan Upcycle.
The position will primarily create written and visual content, develop talking points for in-person and virtual outreach activities, and engage with the SSRC’s audience.
The total hours per week for this position are 15-20, primarily between 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday, with occasional evening and infrequent weekend events. Possibility of additional hours.
- Create content and educational resources and displays, such as:
- Event graphics, posters, handouts/fliers.
- Written blogs involving interview(s) and photo(s).
- Presentations for SSRC Town Halls, academic class talks, staff meetings, student groups, etc.
- Short video clips.
- Promote SSRC activities through various methods.
- Communicate with registrants and attendees of education activities.
- Host or co-host activities/events for groups of students, faculty/staff or community members, and represent SSRC at other events.
- Become comfortable talking/writing about the various services offered by the SSRC.
- Assist with other duties to support the Education & Upcycle Coordinator as needed.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and efficiently through verbal, written, and multi-media communication.
- Willingness to work hands-on with tasks related to processing recycling, surplus goods, and food waste.
- Ability to speak to groups and one-on-one.
- Ability to self-direct upon receiving adequate direction from supervisor.
- Organized; exhibit excellent follow-through; interest in developing professionally.
- Desire to personally practice and educate fellow Spartans on the importance of and strategies to rethink, reduce, reuse and recycle.
- Empathetic problem solver and team player; likes to use creativity.
- Experience with creative reuse, artistic expression using varied materials, or design and crafting.
- Experience with retail display or other installation for visual appeal.
- Able to work Spring and Summer 2022 semesters also.
Starting pay is $14/hr.
Apply through Handshake at https://app.joinhandshake.com/jobs/5369515.