Campus Event and Outreach Assistant
The MSU Surplus Store & Recycling Center (SSRC) is looking for a creative student to assist with outreach and engagement efforts that aim to educate, inspire, and facilitate students’ involvement with the “Three R’s” -- reduce, reuse, and recycle.
The SSRC operates the MSU Surplus Store, the SSRC material recovery facility - where recyclable materials are processed, the SSRC vermicompost operation, and Spartan Upcycle (creative reuse).
This student will work closely with the SSRC’s Education and Upcycle Event Coordinator, and will be an important member of SSRC’s small education team. They will be expected to assist, lead, and take initiative on various aspects of events/projects and be the voice of Spartan Upcycle on social media, particularly Instagram.
Due to the nature of events, the position will need to convene with the Education Coordinator fairly regularly to reassess priorities and stay on track. The bulk of events for each semester are scheduled before the start of that semester, however other events get added to the calendar as the semester progresses. Usually, there are at least one or two events a month, though they vary in size and complexity.
The position will be involved in:
- Upcycle/crafting events.
- Tabling at campus resource/info fairs.
- Co-hosting evening activities with residence hall advisors.
- Assisting with facility tours.
Larger SSRC-wide event(s), such as:
- “Open house” at SSRC,
- a movie screening with discussion,
- a special upcycle workshop,
- pop-up swap/sale featuring merchandise from the Surplus Store.
As this position is focused on campus engagement, they will need to work with:
- Fellow student staff at SSRC.
- Full-time staff within SSRC.
Partners across campus, such as:
- student groups,
- academic classes,
- residence hall assistants,
- student government,
- and/or campus units including the Office of Sustainability and MSU Libraries’ Hollander Makerspace.
To assist with event promotion and recycling/reuse education, the position will create written and visual content that helps to tell the story of how Spartans and SSRC help manage MSU’s waste as a resource.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and efficiently through verbal, written, and multi-media communication.
- Willingness to work hands-on with tasks related to preparing craft materials, processing recycling, surplus goods, and food waste.
- Ability to speak to groups and one-on-one.
- Ability to self-direct upon receiving adequate direction from supervisor.
- Organized; exhibit excellent follow-through; interest in developing professionally.
- Desire to personally practice and educate fellow Spartans on the importance of and strategies to rethink, reduce, reuse, and recycle.
- Empathetic problem solver and team player.
- Willingness to be creative with design and crafting.
- Availability on Fridays
Pay: $15/hr. with potential for up to $2 increase after probationary period.
About us: The mission of the MSU Surplus Store & Recycling Center (SSRC) is to manage MSU's waste as a resource through an integrated system of reuse, recycling, collaboration, and education. To help us achieve these ambitions, the position will help the campus community get involved and play a part in increasing Spartans’ participation in recycling, reuse, and waste reduction. For more info, see https://msurecycling.com and apply at https://msu.joinhandshake.com/emp/jobs/792897