Contact email@example.com for more information or to discuss an education opportunity. We will then send you a simple questionnaire to understand more.
Spartan Upcycle Collaborations
MSU Libraries / Hollander MakeCentral Makerspace
- Make & Take events and Workshops
Office of Sustainability -- Began partnering in fall semester 2021. Ongoing.
- Spartan Upcycle Craft-In: Nature Speaks -- Spring 2022
- Tour of the MSU Surplus Store & Recycling Center -- Fall 2021
- Spartan Upcycle Friday @ the Art Lab -- Fall 2021
- Home Waste Audit (Surplus & Recycling Town Hall hosted as part of MSU Science Festival) -- Spring 2021
- Virtual Talk & Tour with Student Sustainability Leadership Council -- Fall 2020
Residential College in Arts and Humanities
- Open Studio: Upcycled Valentines-- Spring 2022.
- Reclamation Studio -- Ongoing. Partnership established in 2016. Collaboration initiated by MSU faculty/staff.
- Taught by Steve Baibak, students in this class explore materials from a unique perspective that encourages the creator to work with available materials. This class often visits the MSU Surplus Store & Recycling Center for a tour and opportunity to select previously discarded materials to work with.
- Methods in the Arts: Painting on the Edge -- Fall semester 2021.
- Taught by Steve Baibak, students in this class examine the relationships between paint and the 3-dimensional surface. Supplies for the fabric painting project are provided by Spartan Upcycle.
Broad Art Lab Collaboration
- Spartan Upcycle Fridays @ the Art Lab -- Fall semester of 2021.
- This event was hosted during fall semester of 2021 on a weekly basis at the Broad Art Lab. This was a great offering to students at a time when many of us needed it most. Read the Recap of Spartan Upcycle Fridays @ the Art Lab.
- In true upcycle fashion, we have reimagined this program into the Spartan Upcycle Craft-In -- a periodic event held at the MSU Surplus Store & Recycling Center. Check our event schedule for an upcoming Craft-In! We hope to see many of the people who made the weekly event at Art Lab such a hit!
- Spartan Upcycle x Art Lab Residency -- Fall semester 2021.
- Studio (in)Process: Upcycle Edition -- 2020 - 2021
- Upcycle project demonstrations were held live on Facebook. Projects were led by Britta Urness, Studio Educator at the MSU Broad Art Lab, and supplemented with information about the materials and waste diversion options dropped in the event chat by Katie Deska, Education & Spartan Upcycle Coordinator with SSRC. Video recordings of previous demonstrations are available via Broad Art Museum Facebook account.
University Activities Board
- Junk Journal Drop-In DIY -- Fall 2021.
- Hosted in conjunction with the Away Game Tailgate held in the Union.
- Collaboration initiated by MSU student.
- Halloween DIY Drop-In -- Fall 2019
MSU Live On
- Valentine's Day "Love Notes"
- Spring Semester 2022. Collaboration initiated by MSU student.
Collaboratorium for Applied Puppetry Research
- Spring Break Puppetry Challenge -- Spring 2022. Collaboration initiated by MSU faculty/staff.
- Led by Pia Banzhaf, Assistant Professor, Department of Linguistics, Languages, and Cultures, Center for Integrated Study of the Arts and Humanities; and Steve Baibak, Academic Specialist and Lookout Gallery preparator for the Residential College in Arts and Humanities (RCAH).
Canvasses for Communities
- Upcycled materials donated for repurposing at community events and student club meetings.
- Collaboration initiated in spring 2022.
Food Science Club
- Registered student organization, supplies donation for event. -- Spring 2022.
- The club will host an upcycle project in April during the welcome activities for the Regional College Bowl Competition, facilitated by the Institute of Food Technologists Student Association (IFTSA). The event focuses on trivia about food science and technology, food law, history of foods, and more.
- Collaboration initiated by MSU student, who also works at the MSU Recycling material recovery facility.